Monday, December 14, 2009

Block 1912


Today's adventure took me all the way down Whyte Ave to Block 1912. I have to be honest, though, and admit that I have a chip on my shoulder about this place from an experience a few years back. I had gone there for chai lattes with a few friends and their kids. We were a bigger group and there were small children I realize. But it was bizarre how rudely they treated us. It was obvious they wanted us to leave. We were so annoyed and so frustrated. I left with such a bitter taste in my mouth. And seeing as my main issue with the cappuccino is the bitter taste, I had little hope for this place.
To start off with, they had a minimum order to use your debit or credit card which bugged me. Luckily I had cash but I normally don't. I guess being 'forced' to have a biscotti along with the cappuccino isn't the worst thing in the world.
After ordering I watched the strangest routine for making a cappuccino. He went from the shot to steaming the milk, back to the espresso, then started knocking the milk pitcher to get rid of the bubbles, then back to checking the espresso, and more knocking. He was either incredibly inefficient or had a very specific method of building this drink. After getting the shot in the cup he then filled the cup with an amazing amount of foam small scoop by small scoop. This took about a minute and a half. Then he poured in the milk. The process took way too long.
The coffee had this very different taste that I can't quite put my finger on. It was not bitter, it was not smooth. It was almost nutty. Like they made me an almond cappuccino or something. Or maybe they didn't clean the cup and it had some left over amaretto in the bottom (please let it not be this). I definitely didn't hate it, I just felt confused the whole time. Are you a latte? Were you made with hazelnut espresso? Were you processed in a factory that contains nuts? Who knows. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment