Wednesday, January 6, 2010

L'Espresso






So a good friend of mine found this forum of people talking about Edmonton lattes and cappuccinos. I actually have no idea anything about cappuccinos other than what I like about them - which is turning out to be a small cup, good foam, smooth coffee, funky atmosphere and hopefully a friend with me. But this is what one person named John said which helped me on the technical front:

"Making a "hooded" cappo with non overstretched milk (like the garbage at Starbucks) is just as tough as good latte art. The fellow at Transcend who won the 2008 prairies barista comp (Chad) prides himself on making a trad cappo- but you will not get a big airy pillow of foam because that is overstretched and wrong. It would be like asking a baker to burn a baguette for you."

I like to give most drinks a fair shot. I haven't liked them all, but for the most part, not many have been unbearable (save you Second Cup). These cappuccinos were so strange. Neither of us could really taste the coffee because of the copious amount of foam. I wonder what dear Chad, Barista of the Year, and John, defender of cappuccinos and my new but never met friend, would say. Something well worded I suppose and something about burning bread. Regardless, I think it is safe to say that this was one large cup some seriously overstretched milk.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed that sometimes when I get a cappuccino, I'm mostly just getting foam. Sometimes, all I can taste is the foam.

    Perhaps, this is why some baristas put cinnamon in the coffee as a way to make a stronger flavour.

    ReplyDelete